Living Off Campus

Off-Campus Housing Coordinator


Meet the Off-Campus Housing Coordinator, Chant'e Catt.  Chant'e can help you with off-campus housing questions and resources.

You can reach Chant'e at 707.826.3451 or by email to



College of the Redwoods and Humboldt State University Hosted the North Coast Homelessness & Housing Insecurity Summit on April 25, 2018.

Three hundred community leaders, as well as students, faculty and staff from the two collegiate institutions, including our Off-Campus Liaison, Chant'e Catt were invited to come together and explore opportunities to more effectively support, develop and implement shared solutions around homelessness in Del Norte and Humboldt counties. 

Copies of power point presentations from the North Coast Homelessness & Housing Insecurity Summit can be found here:

North Coast Homeless & Housing Insecurity Summit Overview

Humboldt Housing and Homeless Coalition

ACES in the Redwoods



Off Campus Housing Guide

We put together a guide to help you make your decision—from making a good impression on landlords to getting your safety deposit back.

Explore Our Guide

Meal Plans

(For students living off-campus)

You can live off-campus and still take advantage of any of our four on-campus meal plans or the standard off campus meal plan. Plenty of healthy options, no shopping or dish washing required.

Dining Option


Humboldt State students can use their Jack Pass to ride all Eureka Transit Service, Redwood Transit System, and Arcata & Mad River Transit System buses for free. Zimride, Zipcar and Zagster are also available.

Your rights as a renter

The California Supreme Court has ruled that you have the right to a habitable dwelling. This means your landlord has a legal obligation to repair items that affect the home's livability, including: Fixing broken stoves, pipes, unsafe stairwells and other hazards in a reasonable amount of time, which is usually defined as days. You also have the right to privacy. Your landlord cannot enter the rental property without 24 hours notice or your consent. Please see some of the links below to review your rights as a tenant.

State and Federal Resources


California Landlord/Tenant Law

U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development's Renter's page


Community Resources

There are many resources that can assist you in our local community. See the links below for more information.

Redwood Community Action Agency

Legal Services of Northern California

HSU Student Health & Wellbeing Services

Interactive Wellbeing Map

Area 1 Agency on Aging

Humboldt County Housing Division

211 Humboldt

Rental Insurance

When moving off-campus, bicycles, electronics and other valuables, can often be targets for criminals. Remember, you are responsible for replacing stolen or damaged property, not your landlord. Insurance is a good idea to protect your possessions against theft or loss related to a natural disaster. 


National Student Services Inc

Farmers Insurance
615 11 St
Arcata, CA 95521

1989 Harrison Ave
Eureka, CA 95501

Humboldt State University does not inspect or endorse the listed properties or make any warranties regarding their condition, nor does HSU secure off-campus housing for students. Off Campus Housing accepts listings with the expectation and understanding that the landlord or agent is in compliance with the Fair Housing Act.